Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, W.Nr. 3579 ‘White 14’, Fahnrich Hans Joachim Marseille
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, W.Nr. 3579 ‘White 14’, Fahnrich Hans Joachim Marseille, 1.(J)/LG.2, Calais-Marck airfield, France, September 1940
As one of the most successful fighter aircraft of all time, the diminutive Messerschmitt Bf 109 saw service throughout the Second World War and was the mount of more air combat ‘aces’ than any other aircraft in history. This particular ‘Emil’ (W.Nr.3579) was responsible for launching the combat career of one of the most celebrated fighter pilots of all time, Hans Joachim Marseille – the famous ‘Star of Africa’. Despite his well-publicised flying achievements, Marseille’s introduction to air combat was less than spectacular and he quickly earned a reputation for ill-discipline, both on the ground and in the air. Initially, it seemed the only thing Marseille excelled at was living up to his growing playboy reputation. Despite claiming 7 air combat victories during the Battle of Britain, Marseille was himself shot down four times, including a soaking in the English Channel from which he was lucky to escape with his life.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 W,Nr.3579 ‘White 14’ is thought to have been the aircraft in which Marseille scored his first aerial victory – an RAF Spitfire. Although he was able to shoot down the British fighter, ‘’White 14’ sustained damage during the dogfight - Marseille was able to nurse the fighter back to Calais-Marck airfield, where he made a successful crash landing. Initially thought to be beyond repair, the Messerschmitt was later sent back to Germany for rebuild and upgrade, before going on to serve for a further two years with a number of Luftwaffe pilots on the Eastern Front. In August 1942, the aircraft was shot down by a pair of Soviet Air Force Hurricanes, crashing on marshland in the vast, unforgiving landscape of rural Russia.
Remarkably, the wreckage of the aircraft was discovered in the early 1990s and salvaged for a US Warbird collector. Following an extensive period of restoration in the UK, this genuine combat veteran Bf 109 made its first post restoration flight in California in September 1999, in the hands of experienced Warbird pilot Charlie Brown. Finished in the famous ‘White 14’ scheme worn by the aircraft as flown by Hans Joachim Marseille during the Battle of Britain, this historic fighter is one of only two genuine Daimler-Benz powered airworthy Bf 109Es in the world. After spending many years on the North American Airshow circuit, ‘White 14’ currently resides with the aircraft collection at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar – UK enthusiasts will definitely be hoping to see this rare and historic aircraft flying in 2017.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause Cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Optional Undercarriage Down
- Rotatable Propellers
|Limited Edition Size||1,290|