North American F-51D Mustang™, 44-12943/FF-943 ‘Was that too fast?’
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
North American F-51D Mustang™, 44-12943/FF-943 ‘Was that too fast?’ 18th Fighter Bomber Group, USAF, Chinhae Airfield, South Korea, 1951
At the start of the Korean War, significant numbers of Mustang fighters were available to the USAF, although most were now serving with Air National Guard units. Now designated F-51D, the Mustang was no longer the premier fighter aircraft it was in WWII, due to the advent of jet technology, but it was still a highly capable long-range strike aircraft. As a close air support aircraft, the Korean War Mustang dropped more napalm and fired more rockets than any other aircraft involved in the conflict, as it served with four air forces in support of United Nations. It was also involved in some of the first spiralling dogfights with the new Soviet MiG-15 jet fighter. Highly susceptible to the latest anti-aircraft defences, many close air support Mustangs were lost during the Korean conflict.
The North American P-51 Mustang was arguably the finest fighter aircraft of WWII and was significant in finally subduing any hope the Luftwaffe had of offering resistance to Allied air incursions. Only seeing service in the final months of the war, the impressive Mustang possessed range, speed, firepower and manoeuvrability, which were attributes used to the maximum by USAAF and RAF fighter pilots, in their efforts to secure air superiority. The Mustang saw extensive service in the European Theatre and towards the end of the Pacific War, where it was to prove decisive in combat.
Our newly tooled North American Mustangs in the Aviation Archive range (AA27701/2/3) can be displayed ‘in flight’ or with the highly detailed landing gear deployed. Also included are two sets of Interchangeable wing flaps allowing the collector to choose between up and down positions.
Produced under license. Boeing, North American Aviation, P-51 Mustang, the distinctive Boeing logos, product markings and trade dress are trademarks of The Boeing Company.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause Cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Optional Undercarriage Down
- Rotatable Propellers
|Limited Edition Size||1,200|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
AA27702 F-51D Mustang 44-12943/FF-943 ‘Was that too fast?’
A great new release of the new Mustang tool and everything looks present and correct and the QC is very good. Fully 'tooled up' with rockets and bombs it has a striking scheme and the 'sharks teeth' really suit the Mustang. The fit of the undercarriage is very good and the main wheels are solid. A nice release of the new Mustang.
Sorry, you can not vote for this review. Please log in