Douglas C-47A Skytrain™ 315208 ‘Fassberg Flyer’, US Air Force, Berlin Airlift
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Douglas C-47A Skytrain™ 315208 ‘Fassberg Flyer’, US Air Force, Berlin Airlift, 1948
Taking place in the same year as the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, our popular Aviation Archive range boasts a commemoration of its own and marks the 20th anniversary of the first release in this popular series. Back in 1998, aviation enthusiasts were intrigued by the announcement of a new range of 1/144th scale die-cast metal aircraft models from Corgi, which presented the collector with a number of iconic aircraft types from the world of military and civilian aviation.
Chronologically, the first release in the Aviation Archive series was model number 47101, a Douglas C-47A Skytrain named the ‘Fassberg Flyer’, released to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Berlin Airlift and marking one of the most famous aircraft to take part in ‘Operation Vittles’. To mark the 20th Anniversary of the Aviation Archive range, we are proud to announce the inclusion of AA38209, Douglas C-47A Skytrain 315208 ‘Fassberg Flyer’, US Air Force, Berlin Airlift, 1948 in the range, which presents the collector with a magnificent new 1/72nds scale representation of the very first model in this series.
There are few aircraft in the history of aviation that can boast the importance and reputation enjoyed by that of the Douglas DC-3/C-47™ series. This revolutionary aircraft was responsible for establishing comfortable and reliable passenger air travel throughout America in the 1930s, as well as attracting significant interest from the US Army. As America watched Europe and the Far East plunged into conflict, they needed an effective aircraft to potentially transport troops into combat areas and resupply their forces wherever they may be operating and a military version of the rugged and reliable DC-3 was the ideal solution.
The Douglas C-47 Skytrain™ proved to be one of the most significant aircraft of the Second World War, keeping Allied forces on the move and the enemy on the back foot. In the years following the end of WWII, war weary C-47s were called upon once more, this time in a historic attempt to keep the city of Berlin supplied by air, following the imposition of a Soviet blockade. The ‘Fassberg Flyer’ was one of the aircraft involved in this operation, flying coal into the former Luftwaffe airfield at Fassberg. The Berlin Airlift is considered as one of the most significant events in the history of aviation.
Produced under license. Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, North American Aviation, P-51 Mustang, B-25 Mitchell, C-47, their distinctive logos, product markings and trade dress are trademarks of The Boeing Company.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Optional Undercarriage Down
- Photo-etched Aerial(s)
- Rotatable Propellers
|Dimensions||37 x 12 x 41.8|
|Limited Edition Size||1,000|