Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZD716, RAF No.31 Squadron 'Goldstars' Retirement Scheme, RAF Marham, March 2019
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Having the distinction of being one of final two RAF squadron's to operate the Panavia Tornado, No.31 squadron were determined not to allow their long association with this exceptional aircraft go unheralded. During November 2018, Tornado GR.4 ZD716 emerged from the paint shop at RAF Marham wearing a distinctive new disbandment scheme, which marked 35 years of Tornado operations for the squadron and featured the silhouette of a Tornado on the tail of the aircraft, with the unit's famous 'Goldstar' emblem placed on top of it. The black spine of the aircraft also carries the wording '31 Squadron Tornado 1984-2019' and marks 35 years of Tornado operation, initially from bases in Germany, right up until the final days at RAF Marham. The gold star, which appears on the squadron's crest is a representation of the 'Star of India' and marks No.31 Squadron's heritage as the first military unit to fly in India. Tornado ZD716 would go on to undertake a series of high profile national flypasts and official RAF events during the final months of the Tornados service career, helping to give this Cold War warrior the fitting send-off it deserved. This scale representation of the aircraft is taking its place in the Aviation Achieve range alongside the other two specially presented disbandment Tornado models (AA33619 and AA33620) released earlier this year, with the trio making a fitting diecast tribute to an aircraft which served the Royal Air Force with such distinction. Even though the ground attack/reconnaissance variant of the Panavia Tornado was charged with performing some of the most demanding roles carried out by Royal Air Force aircraft, often acting as either an aviation peacekeeper, or hard hitting enforcer, the announcement of the aircraft's impeding withdrawal at the beginning of 2019 was greeted with an outpouring of affection by aviation enthusiasts, in addition to aircrew past and present. Thankfully, the last two squadrons operating these hard working aircraft were allowed to mark the final few months of RAF Tornado operation in some style, which included presenting no fewer than three of the remaining aircraft in special commemorative schemes and allowing them to undertake a national farewell tour. With three aircraft flying three different routes on three consecutive days, the formation overflew RAF stations and locations associated with the Tornado during its long service career, with many thousands of people lining the route to catch one last look at this aviation classic. Unfortunately, due to aircraft serviceability issues, these flights were not undertaken by all three of the specially presented aircraft at the same time, however, a previously arranged RAF photoshoot featuring the illustrious Tornado trio produced a series of iconic images, which will help to commemorate almost 40 years of exceptional service by this aircraft.
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Technical Specification & Detail
|Limited Edition Size||1500|