Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZG752, Retirement Scheme, RAF Marham, March 2019
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
In the year which followed commemorations to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force, one of the most important aircraft since the end of the Second World War was finally withdrawn from service, after providing the backbone of Britain’s aerial strike capability for almost 40 years. Indeed, as if to underline the effectiveness of this magnificent aircraft, eight aircraft which had been on overseas deployment at RAF Akrotiri, only returned to Marham in the days leading up to the aircraft’s retirement.
Thankfully, RAF personnel who were privileged to be the final custodians of the Tornado in the final days of its service career were in no mood to let the aircraft slip away quietly and ensured that the ‘Mighty Fin’ enjoyed a send-off befitting an aircraft of this stature. Three aircraft were presented in special schemes to mark the end of RAF Tornado operations, including GR.4 ZG752, which was given a striking wrap around retro camouflage scheme, similar to the markings applied to the first RAF GR.1 Tornado aircraft which entered service back in 1982.
The tail of the aircraft carries the markings ‘Tornado GR 1982 – 2009’ and its spine proudly displays all the badges of the RAF squadrons, reserve units and training establishments which operated the Tornado during a service career which lasted almost 40 years. As the RAF said farewell to their most effective strike jet, RAF Marham ensured that its impressive service legacy was commemorated in some style.
As the retirement date for the RAF’s last remaining Panavia Tornados approached, base personnel at RAF Marham announced ambitious plans to allow as many people as possible across the UK to say their final farewell to this hard working and extremely effective strike jet. In scenes which were reminiscent of the last flying Avro Vulcan’s national farewell tour in 2015, a trio of Tornados flew three different routes on three consecutive days, overflying RAF stations and locations associated with Tornado during its long service career, with many thousands of people taking the opportunity to take one last look at an aircraft which had served the Royal Air Force so well for almost 40 years.
For thousands of aviation enthusiasts gathered in a field next to RAF Marham though, Thursday 28th February 2019 will be the date they remember as the ultimate tribute to RAF Tornado service, when 11 of the remaining 15 jets took to the air to perform one final massed formation flypast. Officially arranged to mark a course completion ceremony at RAF Collage Cranwell, a perfect diamond nine of Tornado GR.4 strike jets returned to Marham, making three impeccable formation passes over an airfield which will always be linked with RAF Tornado operations. As the aircraft landed back at Marham, the RAFs last remaining Tornados had effectively been retired, but not before their crews had played their part in a spectacular tribute to the ‘Mighty Fin’.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Fuel Tanks
- Moveable Sweeping Wings
- Optional Undercarriage Down
|Limited Edition Size||1,500|