Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZA461, RAF No.15 Squadron, Special Centenary Scheme
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZA461, RAF No.15 Squadron, Lossiemouth, Special Centenary Scheme
As we fast approach the Centenary year of the Royal Air Force in 2018, we can expect this significant occasion to attract plenty of media attention and form the basis of a spectacular Airshow year. In advance of these commemorations, a number of individual RAF Squadrons had already marked their Centenary years and delighted aviation enthusiasts by presenting one of their aircraft in a special commemorative scheme. Without doubt, one of the most attractive schemes applied to an RAF jet was the one that adorned Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZA461 of No.15(R) Squadron, whilst it was still based at Lossiemouth in Northern Scotland. With the impending drawdown of the remaining RAF Tornado force looming, this aircraft became something of a talismanic airframe for the ‘Mighty Fin’ and the proud service record of this magnificent aircraft. Sadly, No.15 Squadron disbanded in March 2017, ending a glorious 102 years of service with the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force, whilst also bringing to an end Scotland’s long association with the Panavia Tornado. The RAFs last three remaining Tornado Squadrons are all now based at Marham in Norfolk, where they will remain until their intended service withdrawal date in 2019.
Benefitting from much of the advanced technology developed during the controversially cancelled TSR.2 project, the Panavia Tornado was a Tri-national programme to develop one of the most sophisticated all weather strike attack aircraft in the world. With three major partners developing the aircraft and sharing production costs, it was hoped that economies of scale and shared technology would allow each country to introduce a highly advanced strike aircraft that would act as a significant deterrent to the Warsaw Pact nations. With its variable geometry wings and large tail, the distinctive Tornado is all about speed and power and during a long and successful service career, it has successfully taken part in a number of combat situations, most notably during the Gulf War of 1991. With many operators looking to replace the Tornado with fifth generation fighter/strike aircraft, the days of this Cold War warrior are now numbered, but if called upon in the near future, the capable Tornado will be ready for action.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
There is nothing the aviation enthusiast likes more than a ‘Special Scheme’ applied to a front-line RAF aircraft and the stunning Centenary scheme which graced this No.15(R) Squadron Tornado certainly has to be considered as one of the most distinctive. With the RAF Tornado now in the twilight of its service career, this latest Aviation Archive release is a fantastic way to mark the passing of the ‘Mighty Fin’.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Fuel Tanks
- Moveable Sweeping Wings
- Opening Canopy
- Optional Undercarriage Down
|Limited Edition Size||1,000|