Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4 ZJ924, RAF No. IX (B) Squadron, Lossiemouth, Scotland, May 2019
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
As Britain's aviation enthusiasts finally came to terms with the fact that the Panavia Tornado GR4 had been withdrawn from RAF service during March 2019, many will have been pleased to note that one of the final Tornado squadrons was to immediately re-equip with the Eurofighter Typhoon. As one of the two final RAF Tornado squadrons, No.IX(B) Squadron is one of the oldest units in the Royal Air Force and one which had been associated with the Tornado since the aircraft first entered service back in 1982. Its distinctive 'Green Bat' emblem had adorned the tail of one of the specially presented Tornados during the final months of the aircraft's service and on the day No.IX Squadron surrendered their Tornado GR4s at Marham, they immediately re-formed at RAF Lossiemouth, this time equipped with the Eurofighter Typhoon.
During the transitional period, the RAF mounted an iconic photo sortie where the IX(B) Squadron retirement Tornado GR4 ZG775 flew over RAF Lossiemouth in formation with Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4 ZJ924, with both aircraft proudly displaying the unit's famous 'Green Bat' motif and confirming this interesting aviation development. Relinquishing their strike and reconnaissance roles, No.IX(B) Squadron will now serve as an air defence unit, providing Northern QRA cover for the UK, with an additional responsibility for providing air-to-air aggressor support for other fast jet units throughout Europe, simulating the tactics of potential adversaries. Situated on the beautiful Moray coastline in north-eastern Scotland, RAF Lossiemouth is now the most northerly of the remaining Royal Air Force bases and is certainly one of the most active.
Scheduled to welcome the first of the RAF's new P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft in 2020, Lossiemouth is also home to no fewer than four Typhoon fighter squadrons, including No.IX(B) Squadron, which only arrived at the station in April 2019, having relinquished their long association with the Panavia Tornado. Equipped with some of the RAF's early Tranche 1 Typhoons, in addition to undertaking vital air defence duties, No.IX(B) Squadron will also undertake the fascinating aggressor role, where these aircraft will provide air combat training support for other fast jet units by adopting tactics used by potential adversaries. This role has previously been undertaken by the Hawk T.1A trainers of No.100 Squadron, so the Typhoon will offer a significant upgrade in role capability, with their services being in high demand. It remains to be seen if any of these aircraft will be given distinctive new schemes to resemble those found on Russian aircraft, which will immediately make these Typhoons favourites with aviation enthusiasts. In recognition of the illustrious wartime history of No.IX Squadron, Typhoon ZJ924 carries the codes WS-J on its tail, which refer to Lancaster Centurion W4964 'Johnnie Walker – Still Going Strong', one of only 35 wartime Lancasters to complete 100 operational sorties or more
BAE SYSTEMS is a registered trade mark of BAE Systems plc.
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Fuel Tanks
- Open/Closed Airbrake Option
- Optional Undercarriage Down
|Limited Edition Size||1000|