BAC SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 XX109, M55 Motorway Trials, Lancashire, 1975
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
The aviation product of a 1960s Anglo-French collaboration, the SEPECAT Jaguar was a highly effective tactical strike/attack, close air support and reconnaissance aircraft, which went on to see service with the Royal Air Force for an impressive 33 years. Featuring a high set wing and long undercarriage, the Jaguar was capable of being operated from grass airfields and roughly prepared landing strips, an ability which was famously demonstrated in front of the British press on 26th April 1975. Flying from the nearby British Aircraft Corporation airfield at Warton, second production Jaguar GR.1 XX109 made a parachute assisted landing on the carriageway of the soon to be opened M55 motorway at Weeton, near Blackpool. BAC test pilot Tim Ferguson made a familiarisation pass over the landing area, before bringing the Jaguar in low over a motorway bridge and impressively slamming it down on the carriageway, as part of the Jaguar's ongoing operating trials programme. Once landed, the aircraft was taxied back to a semi-concealed position under the motorway bridge, where it was fitted with four bombs by armourers, to represent a full tactical weapons load for the aircraft. With the carriageway clear, the Jaguar blasted into the air once more, clearly demonstrating the operational flexibility of the RAF's new strike jet, with the pilot later describing the thrilling events as posing him 'no problems' and not being beyond the capabilities of the squadron pilot. Although the nuclear capable SEPECAT Jaguar's ability to operate from rough ground and motorways undoubtedly enhanced its operational effectiveness, this attribute was never actually called upon during its service career, with the M55 motorway landing in 1975 proving to be the most highly publicized demonstration of these impressive capabilities. With a number of TV cameras recording the momentous occasion, these videos not only show the Jaguar being operated in spectacular fashion, but also many members of the public appearing to be standing perilously close to the action at the side of the motorway, something which would certainly not be allowed in these current health and safety conscious times. The thrilling aviation events which took place on the M55 back in 1975 have also been beautifully captured by talented award winning aviation artist Simon Mumford, whose painting entitled 'Motorway Trials' was part of the 2019 Guild of Aviation Artists annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries in London. It shows the moment Jaguar XX109 came in for its landing on the M55 motorway, passing only feet from a bridge and seconds before its landing parachute was deployed. Spending most of its career as a trials aircraft, SEPECAT Jaguar XX109 is now one of the prized exhibits at the City of Norwich Aviation Museum, where she can be seen wearing a smart RAF No.54(F) glossy scheme.
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Fuel Tanks
- Optional Undercarriage Down
|Limited Edition Size||1000|