The AEC Routemaster was designed and built in London by AEC and Park Royal Vehicles specifically for London Transport use. Although conventional in appearance, the design was technically sophisticated, featuring innovative construction techniques, braking systems and semi-automatic transmission. The first prototype was produced in 1954, and RM1737 entered service at Middle Row garage, near Westbourne Park, in November 1963. It was later allocated to West Ham, Dalston and finally Ash Grove (Hackney) where it became the garage ‘showbus’. Engineering staff kept it in top condition until it was withdrawn from service in 1985.
RM1737 was selected for preservation in London Transport Museum’s collection because of its good condition and as a typical standard production design Routemaster. The vehicle takes pride of place in the Museum Gallery in London’s Covent Garden and is presented in 1980s red livery with a plain white roundel.
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail