Vickers Wellington 1C, R1162 / AA-Y ‘Y for Yorker’, No.75 (New Zealand) Squadron
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Vickers Wellington 1C, R1162 / AA-Y ‘Y for Yorker’, No.75 (New Zealand) Squadron, RAF Feltwell, Norfolk, 1941 ‘Soda Syphon Bomber’
As Britain declared war on Germany in 1939, The Vickers Wellington twin engined medium bomber was the most advanced aircraft of its type in the RAF and would be called upon to shoulder a heavy burden in early bombing operations. Within 24 hours of war being declared, RAF Wellington bombers were sent to attack German shipping moored near the mouth of the river Elbe, although the actual bombing of the harbour was not permitted, for fear of injuring civilians.
The Wellington was manufactured using the Barnes Wallis designed geodetic lattice construction method, first used on the R-100 Airship, which resulted in an incredibly strong, yet relatively light airframe - it also made the aircraft highly adaptable, which helped to make the Wellington Britain’s most heavily produced bomber of WWII. Often referred to as the Wimpy, this nickname was connected to the popular Popeye cartoons of the day and the rather portly Hamburger eating ‘J. Wellington Wimpy’.
The Wellington bomber proved to be an incredibly important aircraft in the history of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Determined to modernise their force, they undertook a hugely expensive programme to build three new airfields and equip them with modern aircraft – 30 Vickers Wellington Mk.IC bombers ordered in 1938. Crews would be sent to England for training, before flying their aircraft back to New Zealand and their newly constructed bases. As the crews neared the end of their training, it became clear that war in Europe was inevitable and the New Zealand government gifted the aircraft and their crews to the RAF, in order to help in the war effort. The New Zealand Squadron was renamed No.75(NZ) Squadron in early 1940, becoming the first RAF Commonwealth Squadron of the Second World War. It was unusual for Bomber Command aircraft to carry nose artwork, but the distinctive bomb dropping soda syphon carried by R1162 ‘Y for Yorker’ has to be considered as amongst the most creative.
BAE SYSTEMS is a registered trade mark of BAE Systems plc.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause Cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Moving Rear/Ventral Gun(s)
- Opening Bomb Bay Doors
- Optional Undercarriage Down
- Rotatable Propellers
|Limited Edition Size||925|