Westland Wessex HC.2 XR500/A, RAF No.78 Squadron, Sharjah, Trucial States, 1970.
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
The Westland Wessex HC.2 was a licence built turbine powered development of the classic American Sikorski S-58 Helicopter, one of the world’s first truly capable helicopters and one which finally established these aircraft as amongst the most useful for both military and civilian applications. XR500 was one of a batch or 4 HC.2 helicopters delivered in advance of the type’s acceptance into RAF service and was used by the Wessex Intensive Flying Trials Unit at RAF Odiham, in preparation for its squadron introduction. It was later one of the founding aircraft of the re-forming No.18 Squadron, the first operational unit to receive the Wessex HC.2, in January 1964. It would later join No.78 Squadron and from 1967, operate from the vital overseas base at Sharjah in the Trucial States (now part of the United Arab Emirates) where, in conjunction with other RAF units, it would help to ensure the ongoing stability of the region. Wearing this particularly attractive scheme, these hard working helicopters would transport troops and supplies around the region, whilst also being on hand to provide flexible airborne support whenever called upon. XR500 was written off in April 1979 when it crashed into Hong Kong harbour, whilst undertaking a winching exercise in poor weather – thankfully, the crew all survived the experience.
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
Prop 65 Warning
WARNING: Cancer & Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
California Proposition 65
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Helping to underline the increasing importance of the military helicopter, the Westland Wessex entered widespread service during the early 1960s and would become a familiar sight in Britain’s skies for the next 40 years. This latest release presents the aircraft in a particularly handsome camouflage scheme, similar to the one worn by many fixed wing RAF aircraft of the day.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Fixed Undercarriage
- Photo-etched Aerial(s)
- Rotatable Propellers
- Stationary Drooping Blades
|Dimensions||20.2 x 7.8 x 15.3|
|Limited Edition Size||600|